The Van Wagner Group Announces Enhanced Coverage for Behavioral Health Management with Great American Insurance Group
The Van Wagner Group, a division of SterlingRisk, is proud to announce their association with Great American Insurance Group’s Specialty Human Services. Through this relationship, Van Wagner is pleased to offer a new enhanced coverage solution for the addiction treatment and counseling field.
Coverage benefits include professional liability, which features a broad definition of professional services, as well as coverage for those with “specialized knowledge,” and not just degreed professionals. Great American also offers abuse or molestation coverage that addresses sexual, physical and emotional abuse, including bullying. For more information about the enhanced coverage, please view the informational brochure.
If you have any questions, please contact 1-800-735-1588 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coverage description is summarized. Refer to the actual policy for a full description of applicable terms, conditions, limits and exclusions. Policies are underwritten by Great American Insurance Company, Great American Assurance Company, Great American Alliance Insurance Company and Great American Insurance Company of New York, which are authorized insurers in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, and Great American Spirit Insurance Company, an authorized insurer in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, except for New Hampshire. Great American® and Great American Insurance Group® are registered service marks of Great American Insurance Company. Great American Insurance Group, 301 E. Fourth Street, Cincinnati Ohio 45202.
Individual Professional Liability Covers professional services up to $1 million per incident, with a $3 million annual aggregate*. The policy is based on an Occurrence Form. This means that you are insured for life, even if you change employers, professions, or stop working, as long as the covered incidents occur while the policy is in effect.
*Can be extended up to $2 million per incident, $4 million aggregate if required by contract.Get an Instant Quote Now
- Professional Liability (Malpractice): Up to $1 million per incident, with a $3 million annual aggregate.* The policy is based on an occurrence form. This means that you are insured for life, even if you change employers, switch professions or stop working, as long as the covered incidents occur while the policy is in effect.
- General Liability (Negligence): Up to $1 million per incident, with a $3 million annual aggregate for bodily injury or property damage, which occurred while you were rendering professional services.*
- Defendant’s Reimbursements: Up to $500 per day or $10,000 per lawsuit for time and expenses associated with your attendance at a trial or arbitration hearing. The suit or proceedings must result from an injury covered by the policy. Includes defense costs for sex abuse up to $100,000.
- Licensing Board Investigations: Up to $5,000 per incident, with a $10,000 yearly aggregate for civil investigations and/or licensing board disciplinary proceedings arising from the rendering of professional services.
- Defense Costs: Includes legal fees and court costs involving claims or allegations covered by the policy, which will be paid on your behalf at no additional cost. Legal fees and defense costs involving claims alleging undue familiarity with patients may be subject to a maximum $100,000 defense cap. The policy does not cover judgments or amounts paid in settlement of such undue familiarity claims.
- Medical Expenses: Up to $2,000 per person, with a $100,000 aggregate for three years after the accident, for necessary medical expenses caused by bodily injury, which occurred while you were providing professional services.
- First Aid: Up to $2,500 aggregate of incurred expenses for first aid to others for an injury covered by the policy. The first aid must be given within 48 hours of the injury.
- Damage to Property of Others: Up to $500 per occurrence, with a $5,000 aggregate for damage you cause to others’ property while it is in your care.
The Van Wagner Group provides expert claims assistance and advocacy services for its clients. Our trained and experienced claims consultants walk our clients through the claims process from start to finish.
Once a claim is received by our office, we immediately contact our client to discuss the situation. Not all claims need to be filed with the insurance company, but we make sure that the ones that should be filed, are filed.
We then send the full claim information to the insurance company and a claims adjuster is assigned. The claims adjuster will work closely with our client to determine the full extent of the claim and offer a solution to ensure the best possible outcome for our client.
Our claims consultants are always available to you to answer any questions you may have.
If you think you need to file a claim, please complete our on-line request form by clicking here.
FAQs – What We Cover
- 1.Do I need to be licensed or certified to qualify for insurance under your program?
- No. Our Professional Liability coverage form includes a broad definition of professional services which includes any service that involves specialized education, knowledge, labor, judgment and skill that is predominately mental or intellectual. This coverage is not limited to Professionals who have a degree or license.
- 2.Do I need to be a member of a recognized organization or association to qualify for coverage under your program?
- 3.Is coverage limited to services I provide at my office or a designated location?
- 4.Can I include a municipal organization or similar agency as an additional insured if necessary?
- 5.What limits of liability do you offer?
- 6.What types of Professionals are eligible for your program?
- 7.What type of coverage form do you offer?
- Professional and General Liability policies are written on an Occurrence basis. An occurrence liability policy provides insurance coverage for an injury or damage that occurs during the policy period, regardless when the claim is reported. In the event, that the policy is not renewed, there is no additional tail coverage required to pickup prior claims. Also, the premiums will typically not vary year by year, when no changes have occurred. Unlike a claims made form, where premiums will increase over a five year period, in addition to the added cost to purchase tail coverage in the event your coverage lapses.
- 8.Who is the Insurance carrier for your program?
- Our Behavioral Health Program is written through Great American Insurance Group. Great American Insurance Group has been servicing the public for over 100 years and is currently rated “A+” (Superior) by A.M. Best and has always received an “A” (Excellent) or higher rating from A.M. Best Company. Their Specialty Human Services Division is an established leader in the Human and Social Services area. They understand the diverse insurance needs of organizations and offer one of the most comprehensive product selections available in the marketplace.
- 9.Is there coverage to protect me if someone files a complaint against me?
- 10.Am I covered for any services I may provide as part of a Peer Review Board?
- 11.Is there a discount if I am only working part time?
- 12.How do I apply for insurance through your program?
- 13.What do I do if I have additional questions?
The Van Wagner Legacy
Thomas Van Wagner, founder of the Van Wagner Group, always had strong ties to the addiction treatment field. He was in recovery starting in 1968 and was an advocate to the field in many ways. He was a founder of the Friends of Long Island Council on Alcoholism; he has also served as president of the New York State Council on Alcoholism and was a board member of the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. He continued to organize and participate in many fund raising activities for the field until his retirement in 2004.
Tom's insurance background began in lower Manhattan. He was proud that he was able to combine his vocation and avocation into an agency that helps people who are in the business of helping others.
The Professional Liability insurance program he helped to create and refine for over 20 years is his legacy. The program provides comprehensive professional liability insurance to individual drug and alcohol counselors at an affordable cost.
The Van Wagner Group was acquired by SterlingRisk in 2004. SterlingRisk is a top national insurance brokerage that has helped The Van Wagner Group expand its ability to serve the needs of the addiction treatment industry. For more information on SterlingRisk, please visit their website: www.sterlingrisk.com.